Another A/UX question, re: rn, AUX dialup.

Alexis Rosen alexis at ccnysci.UUCP
Tue Oct 25 14:38:41 AEST 1988

In article <7216 at ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem at ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) writes:
>In article <7139 at dasys1.UUCP>, alexis at dasys1.UUCP (Alexis Rosen) writes:
>> Has anyone gotten Hayes-compatible modems working as dial-in devices? My
>> (possibly flawed) understanding is that 2400 bps models won't work right.
>> I believe this problem is endemic to all SysV based systems. If you have
>> a dial-in line working, what modem are you using?
>
>We have got AUX to work with Microcomm 2400c and 9600+ in AT dumb mode.
>Apple is working on problems with running the modems in AT smart mode. AUX
>does not work properly with the Everex 2400e, probably the same problem as
>above. I understand that AUX dialup will work with Hayes modems.

Please clarify this. Does the Everex fail in the same way as the MicroCom,
or all the time? Also, could you briefly discuss the "AT dumb mode"? My hayes
modem hacking is limited to getting the damn thing running with my terminal
emulator...

How do you 'understand' that the Hayes modems work? Have you used them, or
heard reports? If the latter, can you tell us who it is that has the Hayes
modems running?

>We have found that if carrier is lost for any reason, ie someone
>trips over the phone cord, the line is hit by noise, there is a power
>failure at the remote end, etc. AUX will not kill the dialup shell process.
>Anybody can call back and get into the system. Apple.com is working
>on this problem. I have since learned that this may be a SysV problem and
>not necessarily just an AUX problem.

If this is true then you are ahead of the game. On some other System V
systems, you have to kill the modem BY HAND to get it to work again. There
has been much talk about this in various newsgroups (notably pubnet.something)
but no definitive conclusion was reached, other than that Hayes-type modems
were risky business for SysV machines.

There are other problems. In some cases, if you call in on a 2400 bps modem
at 1200, it won't reset the speed. This can cause major problems if your
news feed is trying to call at 2400.

Note that all this is not rumor. I use a system daily that suffers from the
problems I mentioned. It is NOT an A/UX machine, however. If I knew for a
fact that A/UX were susceptible or immune wrt these problems, I wouldn't be
posting...

Does anyone have a non-Hayes-compatible, non-Telebit modem working under A/UX
for DIAL-IN use?

Sigh...
----
Alexis Rosen                       alexis at dasys1.UUCP  or  alexis at ccnysci.UUCP
Writing from                       {allegra,philabs,cmcl2}!phri\
The Big Electric Cat                                       uunet!dasys1!alexis
Public UNIX                           {portal,well,sun}!hoptoad/