Access to the Toolbox and Other Hardware Under A/UX

Edward Berard eberard at ajpo.sei.cmu.edu
Mon Oct 24 06:11:35 AEST 1988

It has been mentioned that either "one has no access to the toolbox
under A/UX", or that "access to the toolbox under A/UX is different
that it is under the original Mac OS." I need some answers to the
following questions:

	1. The term "toolbox", as I understand it, refers only to a
	   specific part of the ROM in the Mac II, _not_to_all_the_
	   hardware_on_the_Mac_II. Is this correct? In any event, I am
	   concerned with gaining access to the entirety of the Mac
	   II's hardware. Please help me with my terminology.

	2. "No access to the toolbox" or "different access to the
	   toolbox" can be taken to mean any number of things. For
	   example, it could mean that no one has yet written the
	   necessary "glue routines" to bind C and Pascal routines to
	   the toolbox, or it could mean that there is no access to
	   any of the Mac II's hardware under any language due to some
	   implementation bug. I was informed by one source that this
	   bug would be fixed in version 1.1 of A/UX. If this is so,
	   when will version 1.1 be released, and does it fix this
	   bug?

	3. It occurs to me that complete access to the toolbox and
	   other hardware will involve more than just simple bindings.
	   What differences should one expect?

Thank you for any time and consideration.

				-- Ed Berard
				   (301) 695-6960