Word Processing software for A/UX system???

Earle R. Horton earleh at eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Wed Oct 5 12:30:52 AEST 1988

In article <6572 at ut-emx.UUCP> mike at ut-emx.UUCP (Mike) writes:

>I am interested in obtaining any opinions and/or information
>about word processing software that is or will be available for
>an A/UX system.
>
>Thanks, Mike O'Donnell

I assume you are referring to Macintosh-type, window based word
processors which allow insertion of pictures and all that good stuff.
I can think of a good reason why we won't see any of these for a
while: No printing from the A/UX ToolBox, at least until the next
release of the system (50+ floppies, I have heard!).  Making your
screen format agree with what you print is relatively easy on the
Macintosh native OS with QuickDraw and Chooser-compatible printer
drivers, but would be a little more work under A/UX.  I assume the
easiest route would be to have the word processor produce input for
troff when it wants to print.  The result would be a program which
uses the Macintosh ToolBox, but produces troff output only (or maybe
Postscript).  In other words, an A/UX-specific product, unusable on
either a "regular" Macintosh or on another UNIX box.  Unless A/UX has
sold more copies than I think, I don't think this would be a real big
money-maker for the publisher.

There is some possibility that when X becomes readily available for
A/UX, then one would be able to use a word processing package written
to work under X.  I have used such a thing here (on IBM RTs running
the Cambridge Window Manager from CMU under X) but was not unduly
impressed with the ease of use, especially compared to what is
available on the Macintosh (MacWrite, Word, etc.).

My advice is to wait for printing support for the A/UX ToolBox, at
which point you would hopefully be able to use your favorite Macintosh
word processor, or to bite the bullet and learn troff.

Earle R. Horton. 23 Fletcher Circle, Hanover, NH 03755
(603) 643-4109
Sorry, no fancy stuff, since this program limits my .signature to three