Using one Jasmine partition for A/UX

David W. Berry dwb at Apple.COM
Thu Sep 29 12:06:41 AEST 1988

In article <6381 at ut-emx.UUCP> nghiem at ut-emx.UUCP (Alex Nghiem) writes:
>I believe that currently AUX 1.0 supports only one large capacity drive:
>the CDC-Wren III (150 megs.)  The 100 meg Jasimine may not cut it, since
>it does not appear to contain the above unit. You may have to wait for
>the next AUX upgrade.
	Actually, A/UX supports almost any SCSI drive.  The SCSI driver
was designed with that in mind.  (Note that their may be some problems
if the drive doesn't come preformatted and you don't have a mac program
to do that, the diskformat command doesn't deal well with any thing but
floppies.)

	My suggestion on how to add a generic drive with mac and A/UX
partitions would be:

1)  Use the software that came with the drive to format it.
2)  Use "Apple HD SC Setup" to partition the drive, this is the preferable
	method since it draws nice pictures and let's you drag to set
	partition sizes.  Unfortunately it only works with a limited
	set of drives, basically, those which might find their way into
	an Apple marked product.  (Q280S, Rodime 20, 40, 80, etc.)
	You want to select a "custom" partition, you can then split the
	drive up however you want between mac and unix.
3)  If you have a drive that won't work with HD SC Setup, you get to use
	dp to change the partition map on the drive.  Shrink the physical
	and logical sizes of the mac partition as desired and then add the
	A/UX partition.
4)  Use mkfs to make the required filesystem.  Note that if you allowed
	the default partition type in 3) than your drive will automatically
	be assigned to /dev/dsk/c{scsiid}d0s{slice} where slice is either
	0 for "root" partitions or 2 for "user" partitions.
	on the disk.  Otherwise you'll have all kinds of problems since
	the file system size doesn't match the partition size.

It's quite a bit simpler if you just want to use the drive as an A/UX
drive since you just format the drive and use dp to create a partition
map.

>nghiem at walt.cc.utexas.edu

Opinions:  MINE, ALL MINE! (greedy evil chuckle)

David W. Berry
apple!dwb at sun.com	dwb at apple.com	973-5168 at 408.MaBell