Our Quantum-280 is ill.

Josh Hodas hodas at eniac.seas.upenn.edu
Wed Sep 28 10:30:52 AEST 1988

We are having a problem with a Quantum-280 80-meg hard drive that we
received from Apple as part of the final pre-announcement A/UX release.

The drive has behaved and operated well, but because we now have other
drives available we decided to reformat this one as a Mac-OS drive.

Well, HD-Setup 1.3 and 1.5 (running under their respective system/finder
pairs) succesfully initialize the drive, but when asked for a name, the drive
sounds like it seeks once, then everything hangs.

On reset finder reports that the drive is damaged. If you say initialize then
it runs for a second (in comparison to the several minute process for HD-Setup)
asks for a name and hangs.

Disk First aid fails to verify the state of the drive.

Also, when you go into HD-Setup again it reports the drive as there with
the name assigned prior to the last hang, so the naming operation is
going through.

Does anyone have any ideas what's causing this?

Josh

Josh Hodas    (hodas at eniac.seas.upenn.edu)
4223 Pine Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104