Need Help Connecting Jasmine 50 to A/UX

George Drapeau drapeau at jessica.stanford.edu
Sat Sep 10 05:12:50 AEST 1988

I have a Jasmine Direct Drive 50 that I want to use as an A/UX disk.
I have already hooked up an Apple 20 meg drive to the system, but am
having problems with the Jasmine.  Here goes:

I initialized the drive using Jasmine's utilities, and the drive
showed up under the Finder as a 50Meg drive, which is fine.  But, when
I went into A/UX and did 'dp', the machine wedged.

Then I tried to initialize the drive using Apple's HD SC Setup (v.
2.0), but the program could not initialize the drive.  So, I went to
the File menu and selected 'Restart', and let the Finder initialize
the disk.  When this happened, the Finder saw the Jasmine 50 as a
*40Meg* disk.  I should mention here that HD SC Setup, v. 1.5,
successfully initialized the Jasmine disk, but also as a 40Meg disk.

When the Jasmine is initialized as an Apple 40Meg disk, I can go into
A/UX and 'dp' will let me see the disk.  Here's what 'dp reports:

-------- cut here --------
Script started on Fri Sep  9 12:05:14 1988
% dp /dev/dsk/c4d0s31
"/dev/dsk/c4d0s31" 4 partitions, 4 allocated [unknown size]
Command? P

DPM Index: 0
Name: "MacOS", Type: "Apple_HFS"
Physical: 80000 @ 96, Logical: 80000 @ 0
	read	write
No Block Zero Block

DPM Index: 1
Name: "Apple", Type: "Apple_partition_map"
Physical: 63 @ 1, Logical: 63 @ 0
	read	write
No Block Zero Block

DPM Index: 2
Name: "Macintosh", Type: "Apple_Driver"
Physical: 32 @ 64, Logical: 32 @ 0
	read	write
No Block Zero Block

DPM Index: 3
Name: "Extra", Type: "Apple_Free"
Physical: 23602 @ 80096, Logical: 23602 @ 0
	read	write
No Block Zero Block
Command? q
-------- cut here --------

So there seem to be two large chunks of disk, the "MacOS" part and the
"Extra" part, and I would like to consolidate them if possible or
necessary.

Has anybody out there run into similar problems?  Has anybody solved
them?  How do I get a Jasmine 50 recognized by the Mac II as a 50Meg
disk?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

George D. Drapeau			Internet: drapeau at jessica.stanford.edu
Academic Information Resources		UUCP	: ...!labrea!jessica!drapeau
Stanford University