cron log fills up: read: Not a typewriter

Matthias Urlichs urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de
Sun Jan 29 04:14:39 AEST 1989

Big problem: Afer a few minutes, my cron log file fills with lines
! read: Not a typewriter
which fills the HD pretty fast. What causes this error and is there any
way to correct it without reloading /etc/cron? (I do not have eschatology
partitions because I try to run with one 40 MB HD, my tape drive is with a
friend right now, and I don't have a second HD to restore the tape onto :-( )?

Related question: Since this mess of "file system full" messages stops me
from doing anything but press the RESET button, how do I redirect the console
to a TTYP, PTYP, or a FIFO? (The last option is preferred because I don't
have to program anything in that case -- simply run LESS with that fifo
for stdin and the problem is solved (or so I imagine)).

Thanks. -- Matthias

PS: I didn't try to remove /usr/lib/cron/log since that would at most
stop the symptom, but not the cause.
--
Matthias Urlichs -- Humboldtstrasse 7 -- 7500 Karlsruhe 1 -- FRG
urlichs at smurf.ira.uka.de -- ++49+721-621127 at PTT