A/UX questions

William Kucharski kucharsk at uts.amdahl.com
Thu Jan 26 10:56:59 AEST 1989

In article <879 at amethyst.ma.arizona.edu>, jeffc at leda (Jeff Currier) writes:
> 1) Why are my ethernet connections so slow? Is 3-minutes normal to
> connect to a machine next door?

It's not really "normal," but then again it's not really bad, either.
Depending upon your Ethernet card and the traffic on your network it may
indeed be "normal."

Also, if you're using Apple's EtherTalk card, you may have quite a few
problems with Ethernet overflows if you're running A/UX 1.0 and have a
busy network.

> 2) Are there any other window Manegers besides "term"?  Term is O.K. but
> I was spoiled bye "suntools" and term seems primitive.

Term isn't really a window manager, just a program which displays multiple
terminals on-screen.  The window manager is more-or-less standard Apple
toolbox, to the extent supported by A/UX 1.0.

> 3) Are there any Screen blanking routines or screen locks available?

I'm sure there are some, but I don't know too much about this one...

> 4) Are there any graphics emulation routines for say Tek 4014 emulation?

Depending upon what's out there, the above question as well as 2,3 and 4
can be easily answered by telling you to run the X Window System.  X11r3
is available as source from MIT (ask around for more info) or sometime
soon now from Apple as a supported product (with a faster server than
you get with the standard core distribution).  By running X you could:

	* Use the window manager of your choice (uwm, twm, awm)

	* Get auto screen blanking, and I know there are X screen locking
	  programs out there

	* Get Tektronix emulation via xterm

> 		Thanks a bunch.  I know these quesations are simple for
> some of you.  But I am just getting started and I am lost.
> Jeff Currier  (602)621-4948
> Computational Fluid Mechanics Lab
> University of Arizona
> Internet: jeffc at jupiter.ame.arizona.edu
> UUCP: {allegra,cmcl2,hao!noao}!arizona!amethyst!jupiter!jeffc

I am assuming you mean new to A/UX and not new to UNIX; if that's not
the case  I'm sorry if I lost you somewhere above...

--
					William Kucharski

ARPA: kucharsk at uts.amdahl.com
UUCP: ...!{ames,decwrl,sun,uunet}!amdahl!kucharsk

Disclaimer:  The opinions expressed above are my own, and may not agree with
	     those of any other sentient being, not to mention those of my
	     employer.  So there.