Printing to AT / AT Coprocessing Card?

Jan Harrington jlh at stech.UUCP
Tue Jul 4 20:44:55 AEST 1989

in article <1147 at sequent.cs.qmc.ac.uk>, liam at cs.qmc.ac.uk (William Roberts) says:
>>Page 10-1 of the A/UX 1.1 Network System Administration reference
>>says "Because of the high processing requirements of both AppleTalk
>>and the A/UX multitasking OS, AppleTalk under A/UX requires a coprocessing
>>card. ...
>>Is this for real?  Do we really need a card to print to an AppleTalked
>>LaserWriter
>
> Yes, it's for real. The problems is to do with interrupt service times
> and the very feeble hardware provided for the LocalTalk
> interface. Basically that thing has a three byte buffer inside
>> and if so, who makes them?
>
> The manual entry you quoted says it all:

While finishing writing my A/UX book, I've been using a CommCard from
SuperMac Technology. (The nice folks there loaned it to me). It has four
serial ports and can be used either for four serial connections OR one
AppleTalk connection. It retails for about $1000. It has nice installation
software (rebuilds the kernel for AppleTalk, etc.).

Jan Harrington
Scholastech Telecommunications
husc6!stech!jlh or allegra!stech!jlh