Apple 40Meg Tape Drive for AUX

Donn S. Fishbein donn at radar.uucp
Mon Jul 24 01:04:05 AEST 1989

root at advsln.UUCP (root) writes:
>...and performed a mknod /dev/rmt/tc1 b 9 0 and mknod /dev/rmt/tc1n b 9 0 to
>create the appropriate special files (tape is on SCSI id 1).

>The problem is that : (1) I guessed at the minor number, though I thought 0
>seems reasonable and (2) tar, cpio etc can not open the device.

>I also set the owner and group on the special files to bin.

>Can someone shed some light on my problem and how
>does one go about formatting the tapes (diskformat does not seem to be
>the right utility).

Here's a couple of lines from my /dev/rmt:
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys        9,  0 Jul  2 12:29 tc0
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys        9,  8 Jul  2 12:29 tc0n
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys        9,  1 Jul  2 12:29 tc1
crw-rw-rw-   1 root     sys        9,  9 Jul  2 12:29 tc1n
..(The minor number is the SCSI ID, or +8 for the tcXn device)

As far as formatting tapes, the only thing I've been able to figure
out is to use Tape Backup 40SC under MacOS.
--
Donn S. Fishbein        ..attctc!radar!donn