Apple 40Meg Tape Drive for AUX

Rick Auricchio rick at Apple.COM
Tue Jul 25 03:03:33 AEST 1989

In article <18692 at mimsy.UUCP> steveg at tove.umd.edu.UUCP (Steve Green) writes:

>Well, I just used newunix tc and then autoconfig and it did it all for me.

>	autoconfig -I -o /unix -S /etc/startup -M /etc/master

    Yes, unfortunately the -I option (run init scripts) should be the default.
    Several drivers want that option specified on the autoconfig line.  The
    usual symptom is the lack of /dev nodes.

    Donn, your guess at minor numbers is close.  You probably already suspected
    that there are a couple of extra bits for things like no-rewind and such.

>As far as formatting, you can use mt(1).
>	mt -f/dev/rmt/tc? format

    Correct.  Expect a 45-minute completion, but at least you don't have to
    wait around for it.  Do it in the background.

>PS: dont forget to re-kconfig. 8-(
	Yes, if you've got useful stuff you like different.  You could always
	stash a copy of /etc/newunix in a safe place, then kconfig /etc/newunix
	so that you don't have to always redo the kconfig.
--
Rick Auricchio, Apple Computer Inc, 20525 Mariani Av MS 27AJ Cupertino CA 95014
sun!apple!rick   OR   rick at apple.COM     Malibu N4364D     (408) 974-4227