Partitioning hard disk and other horrors

ANDREW MICONE ss60ubu at sdcc3.ucsd.EDU
Fri Jul 21 17:12:41 AEST 1989

Help! here's the problem.

I have a Rodime 100meg drive, and A/UX 1.0 on an 80SC.  The latest
version of the Rodime installer allows you to partition for A/UX
automatically. Using dp on the drive reveals five partitions, one
for the Rodime driver, one for HFS, and 3 for UNIX.  The three for
unix consist of the regular apple unix partition, the partition
table partition, and a scratch partition.  The logical size for
these partitions all registers as zero upon observation, here are
the questions:

1) Do I need the latter two partitions, the System Manager's notes
gave me the impression you only needed one partition when using the
drive as additional data space.

2) What do I set the logical size to? I can't do a mkfs on the drive
without setting it, but I don't know what to set it to since I can't
determine how much space the other two unix partitions take up, nor
exactly the size of a block (I read in one place it was 512 bytes,
and off of the mkfs command that it was 1024 bytes).  Where can I
get the block size from? I have the disk partitioned for 50megs HFS
and 50megs A/UX.

Thanks in advance,

andym
andym at crash.CTS.COM