Fun with Dick and Jane

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Sun Jul 30 13:18:13 AEST 1989

In article <10936 at polya.Stanford.EDU> shaff at Sesame.Stanford.EDU (Mike Shaff) writes:
>Please excuse the tone of the this letter, but I am slightly displeased with
>Apple's handling of A/UX.  I do admit that I am using STILL using A/UX 1.0, but
>the handling of the initial release and the update policy seem so bogus that I
>am unsure as to whether I want continue along this path.  I purchased my first
  Well, the fact that you have A/UX 1.0 is part of the problem.  While I
understand your frustration, having done a good bit of floppy shuffling myself
until my 1.1 upgrade arrived, I frankly think you're overreacting a bit.  I
certainly don't expect a first release of *any* product to be free of flaws.
At least the netinet code mostly works, which is more than can be said of
any other Unix machine on the OU campus....

>40SC core dumps.  We all know that A/UX was released with support of the 400k
>Disc (thank you Apple I knew you would never drop mfs support), I personally
>wondered why HFS was introduced with all of the storage capacity of a 400k disc
>available!  sash!  It has support for 'cp', it can 'see' Mac OS, and A/UX!
 I thought of that,too.  Alas, sash apparently can't see the MacOS partition
except for loading in the standalone versions of the utilities.

>will make the effort.  I could push the files across due to the presence of
>compress (creates .Z files) and split, Mac OS programs that are greater than
>400k seem to be impossible.  I have tried Stuff It, etc no luck.
  Look more closely at StuffIt. You'll see one of the options is "Segment",
and another is "Join".  You can split MacOS files into 400K chunks, take
them across, then run UnStuffit under A/UX to put them back together.
Trust me it works, even though it is a godawful kludge.
  Presumably you got all this software off of some Unix box to begin with;
why didn't you just do a straight uucp transfer to your home machine and
let it go overnight?  At 2400bps you can move 6Meg in about 8 hours.
  Under A/UX 1.1 they provide "hfx", which does read HFS floppies and the
MacOS partitions of the hard disks, transferring files like this is no
problem.

>I used to believe that Apple was different, better.  Now, I wonder whether "the
Apple's just like any other computer company.  They sell hardware and software.
Some of it stinks and some of it doesn't.  Here lately, more of it has been
in the "doesn't" category.  I'm just glad that with A/UX, Apple has finally
started selling computers with real operating systems.
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Motorola Skates On Intel's Head!