Major bug in A/UX 1.1

Chuq Von Rospach chuq at Apple.COM
Tue May 9 07:02:34 AEST 1989

>I just installed the upgrade from A/UX 1.0.1 to A/UX 1.1 on my
>4 Mbyte Mac IIx ('030 version of the MacII).  There seems to be
>a serious reliability problem with the new kernel running on my
>computer.  I can make it crash by simply doing the following from
>the shell:

>	% rlogin localhost
>	% exit

>The machine then dies and prints the error message:
>
>	panic: sbflush 2

I can't reproduce this.

>I've also seen similar problems when I run the new (color supported)
>X11, running innocuous programs like "plaid" from a remote client.
>The machine bombs and various messages come up:
>
>	Double panic: mget
>
>	Kernel bus error (then a register dump)
>	Double panic: kernel memory management error

I can't reproduce this, either. Both of these error messages are somewhat
indicative of a sytem problem -- I would strongly suggest either a latent
hardware problem (very possibly on the ethernet card) that got tickled by
the upgrade or a corrupted kernel. Other possibilities might be a memory
problem that passes self-test but occasionally flips a bit or a flakey 68030
chip.

Since a 1.0.1 kernel works, I'd try building a new 1.1 kernel from scratch
and see whether it works. It sounds like something was corrupted to me.

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq at apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

Bookends. What a wonderful thought.