Partitioning a non-apple drive for A/UX

Gabe M Wiener gmw1 at CUNIXD.CC.COLUMBIA.EDU
Sun May 7 00:42:12 AEST 1989

Hello NetLanders.  I'm trying to partition a brand-new Storage Dimensions 300
Meg drive.  I want to set it up so that I can have BOTH the MacOS and A/UX
running on the same drive.

Now Apple's HD SC Setup is capable of partitioning a drive in this way, but
alas, the program only runs with Apple-sold drives.  I went in with ResEdit
and inserted the SCSI identifier of my drive into the table.  It recognizes it
now, but every time I try to initialize it, I receive the message "Unable to
prepare drive for initialization."  When I initialize it under another program
and then try to partition it under HD SC Setup, I receive a message like, "The
Partition map has become invalid."

Now I know for a fact that what I'm trying to do can be done from the "dp"
utility that runs under Apple's Stand-Alone Shell, but I lack the knowledge to
do  that (it involves messing around with raw block #'s, etc.).

Can anyone recommend either

	a fix for HD SC Setup
	        or
	another program that'll do it
		or
	a quick tutorial in the workings of dp?  The manual reference is
	sketchy, to say the least.

Thanks

Gabe Wiener -- Columbia University   \****/ "It doesn't matter how sincere it
				      \**/   is, nor how heart-felt the spirit.
INTERNET: gmw1 at cunixd.cc.columbia.edu  \/    Sentiment will not endear it.
BITNET:   gmw1 at cunixc                  /\    What's important is the price."
COMPUSERVE: 72355,1226                /**\   		- Tom Lehrer
WUI: 650-117-9118                    /****\                  on gift giving