NFS mounting from Macs

Chuq Von Rospach chuq at Apple.COM
Sat May 27 01:10:10 AEST 1989

>Not even Apple makes a Mac their gateway to the Internet -- they use a
>Vax running Berkeley Unix, and recently upgraded it significantly
>rather than switch to A/UX.

John's made a couple of assumptions here that aren't correct. The primary
reason we use a Vax for our gateway is because at any one time there are 40
or 50 people logged in. No currently released Mac can handle that many users
-- and putting the multiple Eagles and things that keep the data (and
NETNEWS) on that machine would also be hard to duplicate on an A/UX box.

My group is also planning on putting an A/UX box on the net in the next few
weeks (hopefully...) for support purposes, so there will be A/UX machines on
the net soon. (Actually, I know of some at other sites that are already out
there).

John assumes we don't use A/UX because we can't. Wrong. We don't use a Mac
for our internet gateway because we aren't hyper about wedging our hardware
into places where the technology is inappropriate, and we never claimed that
an A/UX box would be able to be a 45 user Internet gateway and Usenet
host...

Chuq Von Rospach      =|=     Editor,OtherRealms     =|=     Member SFWA/ASFA
         chuq at apple.com   =|=  CI$: 73317,635  =|=  AppleLink: CHUQ
      [This is myself speaking. No company can control my thoughts.]

This is....The Voice....of USENET....in special English. 1300UTC on 11525.