GNU & A/UX

Warren Gish;269A LSA;x3-9219 cswarren at gershwin.berkeley.edu
Fri May 26 01:16:24 AEST 1989

In article <2506 at Portia.Stanford.EDU> karish at forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
<In article <3253 at uokmax.UUCP> rmtodd at uokmax.UUCP (Richard Michael Todd) wrote:
<<In article <9365 at polya.Stanford.EDU> shaff at Sesame.Stanford.EDU (Mike Shaff) writes:
<
<[ ramblings about conflict between Richard Stallman and Apple ]
<
<<However, since I've got a Mac, I'm the one
<<who gets shafted, not Apple.  And there really aren't any alternatives out
<<there for the serious Unix user.  None of the 386 systems are suitable because
<<they don't have Berkeley job control, Berkeley networking, or Berkeley
<<*anything*.
<
<	If you buy an IBM PS/2 model 70 or 80 with AIX, you get the
<	Berkeley features listed above, in a 386 system.

Have you ever had the privilege of networking BSD UNIX-based systems
(e.g., Sun) with an AIX-based IBM RT to do printer sharing?
It ain't pretty.  AIX (at least on the RT) doesn't have the lpd
daemon.  Not that lpd is great, but the two UNIXes' print systems
don't talk to each other on a friendly basis.  It's bad enough that
my clients ftp their documents to the Sun and _then_ print.

<	Chuck Karish		{decwrl,hpda}!mindcrf!karish
<	(415) 493-7277		karish at forel.stanford.edu

Warren Gish
University of California
Berkeley, CA 94720