Future direction of A/UX?

Amanda Walker amanda at intercon.UUCP
Sat May 20 07:58:26 AEST 1989

In article <6408 at oxtrap.UUCP>, time at oxtrap.UUCP (Tim Endres) writes:
[quoting John Gilmore's recent tirades about A/UX]
> Apple has made obtaining A/UX one of the most difficult prospects
> a Macintosh owner faces. I am still amazed at the EFFORT it took [...]

As much of an A/UX bigot as I am :-), this indeed seems to be true, and I'd
even say that it can be phrased even more strongly:

    Apple's marketing people do not understand A/UX, and therefore
    don't understand why someone would want to buy it unless it
    is specified on a bid.

This seems to extend to many of the people running the developer programs
as well.

Unfortunately, the people who read the net aren't the ones that need
convincing (Phil, for example, seems pretty clear about things :-)).  There
does seem to be a growing amount of internal "evangelism" for A/UX, which
I find heartening.  The federal sales force in particular seems to be
catching on fast, and there are growing signs of life elsewhere in the
company.

Even so, despite Apple's slogan of "one person, one computer," there
don't yet seem to be very many people at Apple that understand that
there is a reasonable single-quantity market out here; all of the A/UX
marketing direction seems to be towards large installations, such as
the governement, universities, and so on.  It takes a while, though,
and Apple still is a little new at the UNIX game...

Myself, I think an SE/30 with A/UX 1.1 would make a *hot* little personal
computer...

--
Amanda Walker <amanda at intercon.UUCP>
InterCon Systems Corporation