Where is A/UX 1.1?

David Robbins dcr0 at GTE.COM
Fri May 12 04:59:58 AEST 1989

Things seem to be too quiet lately.  Back in late January or early February,
I read in the trade press that A/UX 1.1 was going to be released in late
February or early March.  Well, March has come and gone, and since about
mid-March I have heard *absolutely nothing* in the press or on the net about
the release of A/UX 1.1.  I have A/UX 1.0 complete with a subscription to
the A/UX software update service, but I have yet to hear from Apple about
the upgrade to 1.1.  The silence is deafening.

I gather from the fact that comp.unix.aux continues to carry articles referring
to 1.1 that 1.1 is still in beta test at least.  Is Apple doing for A/UX 1.1
what Microsoft did for Word 4.0?  Did Sculley promise that 1.1 would not be
shipped until *all* the bugs were out?  And how long can we non-beta A/UX
users expect to wait?  Or aren't there enough of us for Apple to worry about?

After all the silence, I called our Apple rep the other day, who assured me
that, yes, my A/UX update service is alive and just waiting for 1.1 to be
released.  My question "When might I expect to see 1.1?" was not even
dignified with any sort of answer at all -- it was as though the rep didn't
even hear me ask it!

Anyone on the net know what's going on?
--

Dave Robbins                    GTE Laboratories Incorporated
drobbins at gte.com                40 Sylvan Rd.