mkfs and 80SC interleaving

coolidge at m.cs.uiuc.edu coolidge at m.cs.uiuc.edu
Wed May 17 03:27:00 AEST 1989

We've got several Apple 80SC's (external and internal) used for A/UX
in our lab. Recently we set up one of the Macs as an NFS server for
the rest of them and reformatted a previously MacOS drive as a second
A/UX drive. The new drive's performance seems to be really bad, and it
seems to be doing far too much seeking. I suspect that by using the m
and n (interleaving) parameters with mkfs the performance could be
greatly improved.

Does anyone know the "right" interleaving numbers for an internal (or,
for that matter, an external) 80SC, especially one used mostly as
an NFS-mounted server drive?