Make room! Make room!

David Levine davidl at intelob.intel.com
Fri May 19 01:26:19 AEST 1989

This is probably a very common question, but I haven't seen an answer
on comp.unix.aux in the last month, so here goes...

The A/UX 80 Meg disk comes full of A/UX.  I want to wipe out some of
the less-useful parts of A/UX and repartition the disk so as to have
at least 30 Meg (preferably 40) of MacOS partition.

1. How do I back up A/UX to floppies?  tar?  dd?  (What, you think I'm
just going to throw that stuff away?  I PAID for it!  And I'm not
going to repartition my disk without a backup.)  Statements to the
effect that "You don't want to back up A/UX to floppies.  Get
<brandname> tape backup unit instead." would be helpful too.

2. What are some obvious candidates for deletion?  I will be the only
user on the system.

3. Once I have removed the desired amount of A/UX, can I repartition
the disk without having to initialize it and restore from backups?

4. How do I perform the partition?  Should I use Apple's HD SC Setup
or the A/UX dp (if that's what it's called) command?

I'm an experienced UNIX user (since 1983) and an experienced Mac user
(since 1984), but I've never administered a UNIX system.  Please help.

            David D. Levine                BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNN  NNNN TM
        Senior Technical Writer            BBBB  BBBB iiii iiii NNNN NNNN
                                           BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNNNNNNN
UUCP: ...[!uunet]!tektronix!biin!davidl    BBBB  BBBB IIII IIII NNNN NNNN
MX-Internet: <davidl at intelob.intel.com>    BBBBBBBBB  IIII IIII NNNN  NNN
ARPA: <@iwarp.intel.com:davidl at intelob.intel.com>