Need help with 19200 baud Telebit

Tim Endres time at oxtrap.aa.ox.com
Thu Nov 30 03:34:59 AEST 1989

I have recently placed two Telebit modems off my A/UX machine for
a sophisticated retrieval system. I have noticed, though, that even
though I set gettydefs to handle the 19200 rate, and have the
inittab respawn pointing to the 19200 gettydefs entry, I can not
connect at 19200. I always have to autobaud to 9600, where it
appears the port is "stuck" in terms of baud rate.
Someone told me that there exists a default baud rate for each
tty in the kernel, and it is tricky to get the port to handle
different bauds. Something like the port had to be opened *originally*
at the desired rate, and held open at that rate. This did not sound right
to me. I also remember some discussion here a while back about exactly
this problem.
Could some kind soul enlighten me. I have a T2500 doing 9600 baud :(