Misc. Problems and Questions..

David HM Spector spector at panix.UUCP
Tue Nov 14 10:01:11 AEST 1989

Hello,

We've run across a few interesting problems, that I hope someone else running
A/UX might have seen (and solved) before...

First our system configuration:
	Panix.UUCP is a MacintoshIIx with 8MB of memory, A/UX verison 1.1,
	~500 MB of disk space.

The first question I have relates to re-configuring the kernel:
Whenever we attempt to re-config our kernel as per the suggestions in the
A/UX guides for a system of our size the kernel hangs and we have to
undo the reconfiguration from sash.  Has anyone else seen this type of
behaviour?

Typically, what we've tried to to is increase the number of buffers
(NBUFs) and the like so we don't keep overflowing the file buffers and
speed the system up a little...
any large increase in the usual kernel parameters causes our machine to
hang...

Secondly, has anyone gotten smail installed and running successfully?
I have installed everything as per the instructions in the "Install"
document for a Berkeley derived machine, but I find that I have a whole
lot of sendmail processes loading down the system when people send mail
( and of course mail goes nowhere..).  The make.cf.sh file doesn't
exactly generate the best sendmail.cf file either...

Please respond by mail; I'll summarize to the net..

Thanks Much,
 _DHMS
 System Manager, panix.UUCP
							David HM Spector
Macintosh Software Developer & Nice Guy                 310 West 18th Street 5A
ARPAnet: SPECTOR at NYU.EDU                            	New York, N.Y. 10011
Usenet: ..,!{uunet,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!panix!spector   voice: (212) 243-5548
HamRadio: N2BCA (44.68.0.50)  MCIMail: DSpector         data:  (212) 255-6995
AppleLink: DHMSpector   CompuServe: 71260,1410
"Capital punishment is our society's recognition of the sanctity of human life"
                        - Senator Orrin Hatch
"The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."
		        - Harlan Ellison