how do you turn off xdm?

John Coolidge coolidge at brutus.cs.uiuc.edu
Sun Nov 12 18:34:41 AEST 1989

crowston at athena.mit.edu (Kevin Crowston) writes:
>If you remote log
>in and do init q to restart the getty, it prints the herald and "Login:"
>and then seems to die.  After doing this ten or fifteen times, init gives
>up and prints a message saying that the getty had to be restarted too
>often.

This is a problem I've seen a number of times before. Somehow, when
X dies off, it seems like new gettys on the console get messed up
showhow and either fail or get random input.

The solution I've found is to kill off toolboxd. More often than not
this un-wedges the machine and everything works fine (except, I
suspect, MacOS programs --- but I almost never use MacOS in A/UX).

I've also been able to run /etc/shutdown from remote sessions before,
so it _is_ possible. You can also do a sync;sync;sync;/etc/reboot or
/etc/powerdown to achieve a shutdown if nothing else works.

--John

John L. Coolidge     Internet:coolidge at cs.uiuc.edu   UUCP:uiucdcs!coolidge
Of course I don't speak for the U of I (or anyone else except myself)
Copyright 1989 John L. Coolidge. Copying allowed if (and only if) attributed.
You may redistribute this article if and only if your recipients may as well.
New NNTP connections always available! Send mail if you're interested.