A/UX Access to Apple PC 5.25 Drive?

David Robbins dcr0 at GTE.COM
Tue Sep 12 01:33:06 AEST 1989

I have an Apple PC 5.25 Drive attached to my Mac II.  But since I am now
running A/UX 1.1 on it all the time, it is rather inconvenient to use the
PC drive on those infrequent occasions I need to do so.  I cannot make
Apple File Exchange run under A/UX, so I must resort to shutting down A/UX
and bringing MacOS up in order to use the PC drive.

Question:  have any of you A/UX users discovered a way to get at the PC drive
from A/UX?

- Is there a way to make Apple File Exchange work?  It dies with a complaint
  about an unsupported trap or something to that effect.

- Has Apple or someone else written an A/UX device driver for the PC drive?

- Has anyone hacked up some other way to use the PC drive from A/UX?

- Is there any available documentation of the PC drive's software interface,
  such that an ambitious and/or desperate hacker could write said A/UX
  device driver?

Thanks in advance for any light you may be able to shed on the subject.
If there are any other oddballs out there who have the PC drive hooked to
an A/UX system and would like to know if it can be put to any use, let me
know and I will summarize any responses I get.
--

Dave Robbins                    GTE Laboratories Incorporated
drobbins at gte.com                40 Sylvan Rd.