A/UX -no multitasking

Rick Auricchio rick at Apple.COM
Sat Apr 14 02:25:16 AEST 1990

In article <T%R#-Q=@rpi.edu> ira at iear.arts.rpi.edu (Ira Lee) writes:
>In MacWorld page 277 -the article about aux...
>it says...
>The operating system will simulaneously support multiple UNIX
>applications and an unlimited number of UNIX scripts, but it will not
>offer true multitasking.
>
>What does this mean? Isn't A/UX unix? Why no multitasking?

	Ah, the press.  Yes, it's unix.  You get the usual assortment of
	unix processes running (all those NFS and networking daemons),
	BUT the Multifinder environment, into which one logs in, is
	itself only a single process environment (due to the Mac OS
	architecture).  Multifinder does its own "timeslicing" within its
	own single-process world.

	If one of your *Mac* applications decides to hang or crash, you
	end up logging out (or being forcibly logged out).

	The rest of A/UX simply treats that dying session just like a
	logged-in user who crashed and burned.  You get another login
	screen, login again, and it's like you rebooted the Mac OS.

Rick "What do I know about this? I write drivers!" Auricchio
Rick Auricchio, Apple Computer Inc, 20525 Mariani Av MS 58A Cupertino CA 95014
sun!apple!rick   OR   rick at apple.COM     Mooney N894AR     (408) 974-4227
		Never eat prunes when you're famished.
My opinion is my own. My employer? They use a windsock and a fire extinguisher.