Good A/UX Compilers (was Re: Free Fortran for A/UX)

tony cooper name at portia.Stanford.EDU
Sun Apr 8 16:44:54 AEST 1990

In article <1881 at sequent.cs.qmw.ac.uk> liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk (William Roberts) writes:
>The gcc compiler is a great deal better than the standard A/UX
>C compiler - it is also better than the standard Sun C

In addition to cc and gcc there is the Green Hills C compiler ported to A/UX
by Unisoft. Here are dhrystone figures for the three on my machine:

7009 cc -O
8522 gcc -O (GNU)
9868 gcc (Green Hills)

How do they compare for floating point calculations? Here are Whetstones
(double precision):

1330 cc -O
2090 gcc -O (GNU)
2520 gcc (Green Hills)

How about floating point performance using Linpack? For double precision
using rolled BLAS we get in kflops:

---- cc -O (wouldn't compile, ran out of tree space)
259  gcc -O (GNU)
273  gcc (Green Hills)

The Green Hills compiler does a good job of putting in inline 68881/2
floating point calls. the GNU compiler is faster when -fstrength-reduce
is not used.

How about Fortran compilers? There is a Green Hills f77 optimizing compiler,
the A/UX 1.1 Fortran compiler and f2c which converts Fortran to C. Here are
the double precision kflops for Linpack:

193 f77 -O
251 gf77 (Green Hills)

To use f77 -O requires editing link assembly statements into link.l otherwise
the optimizer chokes.

Tony Cooper
tony at popserver.stanford.edu