One world, One CPU, One OS

joseph.a.brownlee jbr0 at cbnews.ATT.COM
Mon Apr 30 07:31:50 AEST 1990

In article <1102 at appleoz.oz.au> ksand at appleoz.oz.AU (Kent Sandvik) writes:
>Patrick.Hayes at cediag.bull.fr (Pat Hayes) writes in article <PATRICK.HAYES.90Apr25071456 at elendil.cediag.bull.fr>:
>> In article <15757 at cbnews.ATT.COM> I write:
>> >As for A/UX 2.0, it sounds like Apple has added some really nice features,
>> >but before I would even consider using it, it would have to be based on
>> >System V 3.x (preferably 3.2), or even better, on System V 4.0.  There are
>
>> What SVR[34] features are missing here?

In Unix Sys V 3.x, off the top of my head:
    .	Shared libraries (I hear A/UX has this)
    .	Enhanced curses (including color and extended keyboard support)
    .	Security enhancements (shadow files, t-bit on directories, etc.)
    .	Sys V 3.x STREAMS
    .	Remote File Sharing
    .	2K file system (a real speed improvement)
    .	Enhanced printer spooler architecture
    .	XENIX compatibility features
    .	Misc. improvements to individual commands

Unix Sys V 4.0 is so different from previous releases that I won't even begin
to list features here, but it will pull in many useful BSD features.  I have
to believe that moving to 4.0 would be the best marketing strategy for Apple
and A/UX in the future.

Then there's the price...  :-)

--
   -      _   Joe Brownlee, Analysts International Corp. @ AT&T Network Systems