X11R4 (was Re: Protected-mode snake oil

Richard Michael Todd rmtodd at uokmax.uucp
Wed Aug 15 04:19:19 AEST 1990

russotto at eng.umd.edu (Matthew T. Russotto) writes:
>(anyone know where I can get X-Windows 4 for less than the highway robbery
>price Apple is selling it for?  Preferably on CD-ROM)
  ftp uunet.uu.net or expo.lcs.mit.edu (or possibly other places, like
gatekeeper.dec.com--I'm not sure about that) and grab the "core" parts
(tapes 1 and 2) of the MIT X11R4 distribution, grab gcc off of apple.com
or wuarchive.wustl.edu, and compile it.  Of course, this trades paying
highway robbery prices for Apple X11R4 for paying highway robbery prices
for the 150M of disk  you'll need to hold the source and compile it.
Don't know of anybody offering X11R4 source on CD-ROM, sure would be
nice to have though.  (Almost make it worthwhile to buy a CD-ROM...)
  Note that this will only give you the standalone X11R4 server, and not
the version of X that runs under Multifinder or under the Multifinder
emulation of A/UX.  Whether this absence is important to you depends on
how much you like MacOS. :-)
Richard Todd   rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us  or  rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu