Weird/Unknown user owners of files

Jim Jagielski jim at jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed Aug 22 00:50:12 AEST 1990

Checking through my directories (under 2.0), I noticed that there are a
few files which have "strange" owners... for example, /usr/lib/shlib.ld
has user 225, /etc/iop also has a weird owner. I assume that when the
distribution of these files were made, the original user/owner chacteristics
were maintained...

I have changed all these strange owners to bin (i.e., chown of these files
to bin). You may also want to check out your system (I doubt if this is
unique to my system) using find... For example, to find all files that
are NOT owned by root type the following:

	$ find / \! -user root -print

If you want to look for files not owned by root or bin, then type:

	$ find / \! -user root \! -user bin -print

You can add other users similarly... you can also check groups too
with the "-group" expression (The "!" negates the expression and the "\"
is required to escape the "!")...

Good Luck!
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
                                 =:^)
           Jim Jagielski                    NASA/GSFC, Code 711.1
     jim at jagmac2.gsfc.nasa.gov               Greenbelt, MD 20771

"Kilimanjaro is a pretty tricky climb. Most of it's up, until you reach
 the very, very top, and then it tends to slope away rather sharply."