What's right (and wrong) about A/UX 2.0?

David HM Spector spector at acf5.NYU.EDU
Tue Aug 21 14:02:18 AEST 1990

This article is being posted for a friend. Please reply directly to him at
    apple!panix!alexis     (and not alexis at panix.uucp)
since his news connection is out due to problems at cmcl2.  Thanks.

Dear net,
MacUser has engaged me to help them with their review of A/UX 2.0.  I want
this to be a really well-done article, and so I would like to hear
from any of you with specific comments, good or bad, about A/UX 2.0.
In particular, I am curious to hear what people think about A/UX's
compatability with various sources, both System V and Berkeley. I know
that I've had reasonably good results with rn, and less excellent
results with Bnews, and poor results with Cnews. But I haven't tried
anything else of consequence yet.

BTW, one word of advice- If you get error messages like "getwd: can't
open ..", that's a sure sign that you're croaking on a BSD fast file
system.  Compiling uder 2.0 will fix that problem.  (But does it
create other problems? I haven't seen any so far.)

Any other comments on obscure bugs, misfeatures, or nifty features
would be deeply appreciated as well.  I don't know what exactly will
go into the final draft but the more info I can get hold of, the better.

One side effect of letting me know about any bugs you find is that
there is some small possibility that I might be able to persuade apple
that they're worth fixing. (And then again, perhaps not. Or they might
already be working on it.)

Please mail to me at apple!panix!alexis  (and no, I'm not affiliated with
apple in any way).  Alternatively, you can call me at (212) 877-4854. I'll
try to respond in kind, but until cmcl2 gets back into shape things
are a little iffy.

In case anyone's wondering why I've vanished in the last two months, again,
it's because of cmcl2, not because I'm being a bad net.citizen.

Thanks in advance,
Alexis Rosen
apple!panix!alexis