A/UX 2.0 and NFS

William Roberts liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 00:22:33 AEST 1990

In <12171 at hydra.gatech.EDU> wj4 at prism.gatech.EDU (JOYE,WILLIAM A) writes:

>Just a note about some info I found out from AUX support. Seems A/UX 2.0
>uses NFS version 2.0. SunOS 4.0.3 uses NFS 3.0. There have been several
>reports of compatibility problems between the two from users. I have
>seen problems with the DeskTop Manager of NFS mounted file systems on
>a Sun/4 110. At this time, Apple does not have a work around.

More details, please.

I don't know what you mean by "NFS 2.0" and "NFS 3.0". Both A/UX (all
releases) and SunOS 4 (4.0,4.1) use version 2 of the NFS protocol as reported
by rpcinfo. The include files under A/UX 2.0 have lines saying

/* NFSSRC @(#)vnode.h   2.1 86/04/11 */

On my SunOS 4.1 machine the corresponding comment is

/*      @(#)vnode.h 2.43 89/05/16 SMI   */

On my VAX machine, for which we bought the NFS 3.0 source licence, having
upgraded from the NFS 2.0 source, it says

/* NFSSRC @(#)vnode.h   2.1 86/04/11 */
/*      @(#)vnode.h 1.1 86/02/03 SMI    */

The VAX source matches the NFS implementation in SunOS 3.0, which lacked
facilities such as the kernel routine wakeup_one which appeared in SunOS 3.2
and is definitely present in A/UX 1.0 onwards.

Looking at the SCCS ident in the nfsd program (as another clue), we see

A/UX 2.0:	Copyright (c) 1983-87 Sun Microsystems Inc., All Rights Reserved.
		{Apple version 1.4 89/10/09 21:00:37}

SunOS 4.1:	nfsd.c 1.10 88/08/04 Copyr 1985 Sun Micro
VAX (NFS 3.0):	nfsd.c 1.1 86/02/03 Copyr 1985 Sun Micro

>From all this evidence (plus trying to get an up-to-date NFS source licence)
I conclude that A/UX is using what I would refer to as NFS 3.2, and that
SunOS 4.1 is using what Sun now call ONC/NFS 4.0.

I would be interested to know what the "compatibility problems" are supposed
to be, especially since there is no mention of an such problems in the
Sun customer distributed buglist.

William Roberts                 ARPA: liam at cs.qmw.ac.uk
Queen Mary & Westfield College  UUCP: liam at qmw-cs.UUCP
Mile End Road                   AppleLink: UK0087
LONDON, E1 4NS, UK              Tel:  071-975 5250 (Fax: 081-980 6533)