porting Xwindows to the mac

Richard Todd rmtodd at servalan.uucp
Thu Aug 9 07:20:27 AEST 1990

ira at iear.arts.rpi.edu (Ira Lee) writes:

>Hello. I would like to get X windows ported to AUX 2.0.  Is there
>someone out there that has done it successfully?

   Well, the current version of X Window (X11R4) contains support for A/UX
already.  It compiles just fine under A/UX 1.1, and I'm told that it does
under 2.0, though I haven't had a chance to try it yet.  (It's on my list
of things-to-do once I get enough disk space cleared up...).   In my
experience, getting X Window to run under A/UX 1.1 was simply a matter of
unpacking the MIT source and grabbing an up-to-date copy of GCC (you
*definitely* want to compile X with gcc--the speed difference in the
server is very noticable), editing a couple of things in the macII.cf file,
and typing the appropriate "make World" invokation (and waiting a few hours
:-)

>someone out there that has done it successfully? Is there anything
>special about Apples X windows port that makes it worth buying?

  I believe Apple's X Window package includes MacX, a version of X that runs
under MultiFinder (and hence can be used at the same time that you're
running MacOS programs).  Since I don't have the Apple X package, I can't
say for sure, though.
Richard Todd	rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu  rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us
	rmtodd at servalan.uucp
"Cancelling a posted message means posting a cancel message."-Maarten Litmaath