How do I access SCSI using A/UX System Calls?

Herb Weiner herbw at midas.WR.TEK.COM
Mon Aug 27 04:10:38 AEST 1990

Page 5-18 of the "A/UX Toolbox: Macintosh ROM Interface" manual states:

"You can reproduce the functions of the SCSI Manager in A/UX by writing
your own routines that use A/UX system calls.  See Chapter 3, 'A/UX
Toolbox Utilities and Extensions,' for a strategy for including A/UX
system calls in applications that are intended to run under both the
Macintosh OS and A/UX"

I assume that this is a reference to "Making A/UX system calls" on
pages 3-18 to 3-19.  This section provides no further information on
SCSI.

I have looked in the "A/UX Reference Summary and Index" under "SCSI"
but there is not listing.  (Comment: this index seems very incomplete
to me.  None of the following items are listed: Control Panel, MacsBug,
Desk Accessories, Finder.  In fact, there appear to be NO references
to the ANY of the Macintosh aspects of A/UX.)

I have looked in the "A/UX Programmer's Reference" (Section 2: System
Calls) and didn't see anything obviously related to SCSI.  I have looked
in the "A/UX System Administrator's Reference" (an unlikely source) in
Section 7 (Drivers and Interfaces to Drivers), with no luck.  I have
tried "apropos scsi" only to discover that there is "nothing apropriate".

OK! I give up.  Where should I look next?  Do I have to write a driver?
I hope not, since Page 5-18 of the "A/UX Toolbox: Macintosh ROM Interface"
goes on to state that "A program that uses an A/UX device driver is not
portable to the Macintosh OS."

Herb Weiner (herbw at midas.WR.TEK.COM)