A/UX 2.0 and Chooser/Printer problems

Peter Espen espen at well.sf.ca.us
Thu Aug 30 02:19:48 AEST 1990

I've been having problems getting my Imagewriter to work
in A/UX 2.0.   No matter what I do, I can't get the chooser
to believe that appletalk is inactive,  and so it won't let me
select that printer port for the Imagwriter.  I know that  someone
else has been having the same problem and posting it to
comp.unix.aux.   I finally gave up on getting the chooser to
allow me to select the printer port  for the Imagwriter, and I
switched my modem to the printer port and my  Imagewriter
to the modem port and did all the necessary device driver
juggling  for the system to look for these things on the new
ports.   The modem works  just great on the printer port, but
the system is having  problems printing to the  Imagwriter on
the modem port.  Even though the chooser lets me select the
modem port for the Imagewriter, my applications in Multifinder
under A/UX  are getting hung in the "printing....type clover
and . to cancel" .  I have gotten  MS Word to print once or twice
correctly with this set-up, but it is highly erratic  and unreliable.

I spoke  with Apple A/UX tech support about this yesterday.
The A/UX tech support people have been real helpful and even
though I  don't always get the correct answer or solution from
them on the first call,  I  always get things straightened out after
just a couple of calls.  Antonio at A/UX  tech support has been
especially helpful and is a VERY knowledgable expert  on A/UX.
Anyway, the bottom line regarding my problem according to A/UX
tech support is that A/UX has a known problem working with an
Imagwriter at all.   Apparently A/UX works ok with appletalk devices,
but just doesn't like to have a  serial printer.  A/UX tech support
told me that they are working on a fix for this  problem and a patch
would be posted to their A/UX support system at some  unspecified
future date.

If anyone has been successful in getting a serial printer  to work
correctly with Mac Multifinder applications running under the
A/UX  finder, please post any info here or send me some details
via e-mail.  It's a major  set back to not be able to print at all from
my Mac applications! Anyone for A/UX  tech support listening?
Any idea when this problem will be fixed??  Help!

Peter Espen
espen at well