Misc. GNU tools on A/UX

John Coolidge coolidge at casca.cs.uiuc.edu
Wed Aug 1 09:40:17 AEST 1990

With the postings going out about trouble porting things and my
patches to various things finally getting released (and fixed! :-)),
I thought it might be a good idea to mention the "unsung heroes":
the GNU tools that I'm using which required no significant effort
to port.

I'm currently using the GNU fileutils package (replacements for
many standard programs: cat, ls, rm, etc) full-time and having
no trouble. I'm also using GNU find, cpio, tar, fgrep, and egrep
and they're all doing just fine. Finally, I've got gdbm compiled
and (while I haven't used it much) it seems to work well too.
Many of these offer significant improvements over the standard
UNIX tools (more/better options, new features, faster, etc), and
I recommend them to everyone out there --- if there's actually
demand, I can put together a big distribution of the binaries.
They really do port very easily, though --- often you just type
make. Sometimes a header file #include needs to be changed.

--John