A/UX 3rd party product list

Mike Chow mgchow at Apple.COM
Thu Aug 23 08:43:59 AEST 1990

In article <33093 at cup.portal.com> thad at cup.portal.com (Thad P Floryan) writes:
>brooks at Apple.COM (Kevin Brooks) in <44145 at apple.Apple.COM> writes:
>
>	I've just put a copy of the latest supported 3rd party products listing
>	on the A/UX info/update server.  Its broken down by application type
>	and its actually getting preety large.  Its stored in a binhex stuffit
>	format archive, once you unwrap it should be a nicely formatted MS Word
>	4.0 doc.
>
>With all due respect for the efforts of all the people doing this stuff, I'd
>like to see files which don't alienate those of us attempting to port products
>to an ostensibly ``UNIX'' platform.
>

>If apple.com has the disk space for both forms (stuffit, and compressed UNIX
>archives), then by all means have both!  But a proprietary format designated
>for an expensive word processor smacks of "elitism" to me and controverts the
>spirit of cooperativeness which has accompanied the UNIX environment since its
>inception.

I think you're being unfair here with comments like this.  My guess is that
somebody at Apple produced this document and just happened to be using MS
Word 4.0, and that was the easiest way to put that information on the server.

Yes I agree, it's a good idea to distribute these documents as simple
compressed text files as well.  But can't people just politely ask
for a simple change without accusations and inuendos?

>Thad
>
>Thad Floryan [ thad at cup.portal.com (OR) ..!sun!portal!cup.portal.com!thad ]

Mike Chow
A/UX Engineering