AUX 2.0 Limitations and Workarounds??:

Ira Rampil rampil at cca.ucsf.edu
Mon Aug 27 01:09:02 AEST 1990

Greetings,

    I have threee questions and advice on any or all would be welcome.
I briefly scanned the archive on aux.support.apple.com for info and did
not find any, so forgive me if these topics have been beaten to death
already.

1.  Is it possible to build a minimal AUX system on to a Syquest 44Meg
cartridge?  The Hotline response is:Get a copy of Silverlining, but is
otherwise not helpful.  So I got a copy of SL 5.26(!) and it sqwacks
about not having enough space for on of the standard partition combos.
What are the minimal partition sizes compatible with life under AUX.
How about no Mac partition (boot from another drive)?  Can I diddle the
read-disk script to not copy C, Fortran, B-NEt support, games, man
pages etc?  Has anyone done this?

2.  I successfully built AUX on to my IIfx which has several Mac only
drives, in addition to the AUX partitioned one.  My Miniscribe 380
drive has three Mac partitions on it.  AUX only mounts the first
partition!  The manual implies that mount only works for AUX partitions
and SCSI Probe is out of the question because it directly hits the
hardware.  How can I mount my other Mac partitions????

3.  For a moment I am going to become geocentric and assume the rest of
the Mac world is similar, qualitatively, if not quantitatively to our
campus system.  We have about 4000 Macs, most of which are on Local-
Talk for print sharing, Public folder, QuickMail etc.  Many of these
zones (including the 5 I administer) gatewayed on to the campus fiber
backbone with fastpaths or gators, and we have been happily using
HostAccess or NCSA Telnet into the internet.  Nobody has individual
Ether cards in their CPUs!    Why can't AUX handle TCP/IP via Local-
Talk to our gateways????   BTW NCSA Telnet does work under AUX Multi-
finder but wont cut it for all we want to do, ie bidirectional ftp to
the Mac hosts, and rlogins to the Macs from the net, as well as Mail
and News.  Does any know of a PD or third party solution to this
capricious limitation???

Thank you for your support!

Ira Rampil, MSEE, MD

<I don't need no disclaimer!>