The cost of A/UX

Margaret Myers myers at beowulf.ucsd.edu
Wed Aug 15 05:11:25 AEST 1990

I am posting this for a friend...

About two months ago I ordered A/UX from a local dealer.  I ordered the CD-ROM
version because its about $200 cheaper than the floppy version.  Anyway, it
finally came in last week but unfortunately someone else hijacked my copy. . .

I still don't have my copy of A/UX.  I have had some time to think about
Apple pricing policy and what I want from my home computer.  >> What I want is
a resonably priced home workstation <<  The more I think about A/UX the more I
realize that it is not resonably priced.  The $1400 that Apple charges for
software and manuals is $400 more than what Sun charges for software, manuals
and a CD-ROM player.  With the additional cost of A/UX my Mac IIcx is
going to cost about as much as SPARC Station SLC.  I don't want an SLC
because I like MacOS and I want it on my home computer.  I don't mean
to compare apples and oranges but the SLC has A LOT MORE PROCESSING POWER
than my Mac.

My dealer said that he going to start carrying SPARC
stations within the next few months.  I think it would behoove Apple to
lower the price of A/UX so that the hordes of technical home users can afford
it.  That way Apple won't get left in the dust when workstations hit the home
market.

frank

PS -  When the sales person found out the price of the manuals he suggested
that I "borrow" a copy of the software and buy only the manuals.  I never
heard of a sales person feeling guilty about the price of something.