Still can't install A/UX 2.0

Dan Gerson gerson at parc.xerox.com
Sat Aug 11 08:59:19 AEST 1990

A while ago I posted my crazed attempts to install A/UX using the floppy disk
distribution without having the A/UX Accessory Toolkit.  Well, now I do have
the toolkit, but I am still failing in exactly the same way.

I've tried a variety of drives (I've tried an Impris Wren 600MB drive with
custom partitions (400MB Mac, 25MB Swap, and the rest being root/usr), a CMS
(Conner) disk drive formatted and partitioned as the "standard" A/UX setup using
a patched Apple SC HD Setup, as well as a 40MB internal with the minimum
root/usr partition, 2K MacPartition, and the rest being swap).

In all cases, I've booted from the Floppy Startup disk, ran through the first
phase of the installation (creating the file system etc), rebooted, used
read_disk to install the kernel, and then rebooted to try to start the second
phase of the installation.  In all cases the second phase never starts up.
After booting, the screen flashes once (looks like the standard reset behavior),
but any disks in the floppy never get ejected, and the system never even gets to
the rc file.  It just stays blank.

I've also tried this on two different MacIIs with a PMMU installed.  One of them
works fine with A/UX 1.0.1 or whatever; the other one I've never tried to run
unix on.  One of the MacIIs is pretty vanilla, with the standard Apple color
monitor, and no other NuBus cards, while the other MacII has an Apple B&W
monitor and a RasterOps 8L board and a 3Com ethernet board.

One of the disks had the MacPartition setup from scratch using the 6.0.5 floppies
in the accessory kit, while the other disks had either a full 6.0.5 system, or
6.0.4 in the case of the 40MB disk.

Any ideas?  Bad kernel disk?

Dan Gerson
Xerox Palo Alto Research Center.