Man pages?

Scott Gustafson scott at unisoft.UUCP
Wed Aug 22 03:29:48 AEST 1990

shaff at elements.rpal.com (Mike Shaff) writes:

>ciao,

>Sometime back I posted a message regarding the updating of the database file
>/usr/lib/whatis.  Not one answer (though there were several people who wanted
>the information to be passed their way if I got any pointers).  Is there really
>no one out there who has successfully gotten the whatis database to include new
>man pages?

Well, I just used vi to update the file (as su) and added the new commands:
gcc(1)                       - Optimizing C compiler
gpc(1)                       - Optimizing Pascal compiler
gf77(1)                      - Optimizing Fortran compiler

Then I did a whatis on the three of them, and it worked fine.  If you want to
do all of this in a script, just have the script append the name of the command
with the discription to the end of the file, and then sort the file whatis.
(If you need more information on this, e-mail me.)

>Further, I have come to a realization that I can not find any documentation on
>adding man pages with regards to compaction, etc.
>Surely, someone must have some ideas out there?

To add a man page:
1. Take your formatted man page that you just made or were supplied and compact
   it with the following command: compact [name...]
   This will leave your man page in the correct format (with a .z after the
   name, i.e. gcc.1.z)
2. Determine what section your man page will be and put it in the right
   directory.  In my example gcc.1.z went into /usr/catman/u_man/man1.
   All of the man pages are in /usr/catman and depending on what section it is,
   they will go into a_man or u_man and then the appropriate section.

>	mas

Scott Gustafson
UniSoft Corp., 10700 N. DeAnza Blvd., Cupertino, CA  95014 (408) 366-4901
{uunet,hoptoad,fai,bdt,sun,lll-lcc,mtxinu,basis,ucbvax,apple}!unisoft!scott