Building tools with A/UX

John Coolidge coolidge at casca.cs.uiuc.edu
Thu Aug 2 14:07:42 AEST 1990

anderson at csli.Stanford.EDU (Steve Anderson) writes:
>[...] First time around it didn't build, complaining about
>"instruction-operand mismatch" when assembling the output of compiling
>term.c.

This is fixed if you use register prefixes. The problem is that the
code uses a variable named PC which, without register prefixes, is not
distinguishable from the register pc. With register prefixes, they're
clearly unique symbols.

>(2) On the other hand, I can't get akcl to build at all. Using gcc
>(either the apple version or the newer one you've been reading
>about....), I get "instruction-operand mismatch" errors in a few
>files, and essentially every file in the lsp directory (plus some more
>- I got tired of keeping track) bombs during the compilation with
>"FATAL - symbol L2 redefined" (usually L2 - sometimes L8, L26, or
>whatever). This looks vaguely like some sort of syntax problem, so I
>tried gcc -traditional, but the same thing happens.

I have an idea about the Ln stuff (not having tried it). gcc with gas
puts out local labels as Ln. If AKCL uses variables of the form Ln,
they will probably clash. Maybe I should add support for label prefixes
(I think there's code there to allow it to general .Ln and a way to
tweak gas to accept it).

--John