Shared libraries and me

John Coolidge coolidge at casca.cs.uiuc.edu
Fri Aug 10 02:43:58 AEST 1990

I'm working on shared library-izing some stuff for A/UX, and I've got
a fairly major problem: no documentation. Actually, that's not true:
I've got a copy of the SVR3 shared library documentation from another
machine and it's very accurate as far as it goes. Between it and the
mkshlib man page, I've gotten a pretty good idea of what needs to be
done to make a shared library, and I've done most of it. What I now
need is the table of addresses that shared libraries can use. I can
easily enough figure out where libc and libmac live in memory, but at
what addresses should user shared libraries live (especially if
they're likely to be "semi-standard" shared libraries that quite a few
packages use)?

Could someone with the manuals send me the appropriate information?
There's a nice table/figure in the manual I have which shows the
appropriate information for a 3b1, and I suspect the A/UX manual has
a similar table --- which is what I need.

Thanks,
--John