Should I buy A/UX? Opinons, advice appreciated

CLEMENS JONATHAN P fsjpc at acad3.fai.alaska.edu
Thu Aug 9 15:55:25 AEST 1990

I have a Mac IIx 4/80, and I'm considering buying A/UX. That said, I'd
like to solicit advice from the net at large as to the wisdom of such an
action, and have a few questions that I don't absolutely trust my local
dealer to answer...

- How much space does it *really* take up on a hard drive?

- Can Mac Applications *really* be run from within A/UX? How much trouble
is it to run a typical application?

- How easy is it to set up and maintain?

- For those of you who've paid for it out of your own pockets: was it worth
it?

I've gotten nowhere fast looking into A/UX locally. You see, no one *owns*
a copy in Alaska, the dealers know nothing (although they'd be happy to sell
it to me...), and I find a demo quite impossible to obtain.

For those of you who cared enough to read this far, here's why I'm asking.
I have a Mac IIx, and am a competent MacOS "Power User", as well as quite
Proficient with many other micro OS's and VMS. I'm working in a position
where, in two years or so, I stand a very good chance of being thrust into
supporting a Unix operating system. I'm young, moderately ambitious, and
quite eager to get ahead in my job. The only practical way I can get any
Unix experience is to "do it myself", or so it appears. I have read books
on Unix, heard testimonials from other hackers, and even got myself an
account on a University of Alaska Fairbanks Sun, but that's the nearest
Unix accessible to me, and it's a thousand miles and five nodes away.
Needless to say, the response time is atrocious. Like I said, I'm young,
open-minded, and a hacker at heart. I'm also not making enough money to
throw it around spuriously, but I can afford to spend it if it'll be of
some real use to me. Oh, yes: I'm fully proficient in C, and swear by it
as my language of choice.

Is A/UX for me?

Jonathan Clemens
Standard Disclaimers apply; My employer doesn't know I know how to use
a _REAL_ computer.

Please reply to me at:			fsjpc at acad3.fai.alaska.edu
					fsjpc at alaska.bitnet