comments on building emacs-18.55

Richard Michael Todd rmtodd at uokmax.uucp
Thu Aug 16 04:32:35 AEST 1990

demarsee at gamera.acs.syr.EDU (Darryl E. Marsee) writes:

> About this port, I retreived it and tried to do the make.  However, I
> don't have the gcc compiler, so I changed the Makefile to use the cc
> compiler, and I got the following error message:

> cc: can't exec /lib/nas: No such file or directory
  Weird...  Evidently he didn't make sure the Makefile worked right when
compiling for stock cc; at a guess, he's passing some option that's
confusing cc and making it look for the assembler with the wrong filename.

> Now, I checked my original CD shipment of A/UX 2.0, and I can't find
> nas anywhere under lib.  Does anyone know where I can find it so I can
> (finally) get emacs compiled on my machine?

Wouldn't it be simpler to just get a copy of GCC and install it?  You *might*
be able to get Emacs to compile with straight cc, but getting other GNU
stuff to compile with cc may not be possible.  Besides, GCC's optimizer is
a whole lot better than cc's...
Richard Todd   rmtodd at chinet.chi.il.us  or  rmtodd at uokmax.ecn.uoknor.edu