A/UX just a ploy? (Was Re: Is A/UX viable? Your advice sought)

Vicki Brown vlb at magic.apple.com
Sat Aug 4 07:53:27 AEST 1990

In article <221 at gort.cs.utexas.edu> jason at cs.utexas.edu (Jason Martin Levitt) writes:
>In article <1990Jul31.232639.18896 at brutus.cs.uiuc.edu> coolidge at cs.uiuc.edu
>writes:
>>
>>My impression....[stuff deleted]
>>is that Apple is committed to A/UX for the long
>>haul. They've put a lot of work into 2.0, work that doesn't affect
>>government procurement requirements for UNIX-compatible systems
>>(how many government contracts require UNIX with MacOS support? :-)).
>>
>  I think you've got it backwards, John. Apple wants to deliver
>*MacOS* solutions, not Unix solutions. The government requires
>Unix, so Apple delivers an operating system that allows a nearly
>complete MacOS under Unix. Huzzah!

IMHO -
Apple has a group of Very Good UNIX engineers (not to mention a bunch
of related support, documentation, etc people) committed to making
A/UX a UNIX that *we* want to use.  Yes, we allow a "nearly complete"
MacOS.  Huzzah is right!  Show me any other UNIX system available today
with as large and varied a collection of readily available, reasonably
low-cost software!  A/UX is also quite a complete UNIX, and getting
better with every release.

If this were just a push-it-out-the-door, Mac look&feel on top of
vanilla System V, I'd have been out of here long ago.  I think that
goes for a lot of the A/UX engineers.  As it is, I've been here 4 years,
and the group has quadrupled in that time (still growing).  We've got
support from the higherups to hire more good people, and our budget is
*not* shabby :-).  Apple wants to deliver *Profitable* solutions, and
we can't do that unless they're also good solutions.

I came to Apple because I wanted to be part of a nifty UNIX effort.
I haven't been disappointed in that regard.  High-quality people,
and great toys!
   Vicki Brown   A/UX Development Group         Apple Computer, Inc.
   Internet: vlb at apple.com                      MS 58A, 10440 Bubb Rd.
   UUCP: {sun,amdahl,decwrl}!apple!vlb          Cupertino, CA  95014 USA
              Ooit'n Normaal Mens Ontmoet?  En..., Beviel't?
          (Did you ever meet a normal person?  Did you enjoy it?)