modems, getty

Chuck Shotton root at brain.UUCP
Fri Feb 2 08:13:15 AEST 1990

segedy at cspi.com (Cathy Segedy) writes:

>Hello.  For those of you who have already seen my cry of help last time
>I posted, sorry, but I still don't have a solution.  Here's my problem.
>I have a 1200 baud modem attached to my mac.  I would like to have a getty
>running on it, under aux (either 1.1 or 1.1.1, I forget.  I think 1.1.1)
>anyway.  I would like to call in from somewhere else, have the modem answer,
>get the getty and login.  Unfortunately, when I turn on the getty in the
>inittab, it keeps killing the getty and restarting it.  Please help!!
>I have tried what I consider to be everything, but I can't believe that
>this doesn't work!!
>				thanks a million,
>					cathy segedy

Make sure you set the modem up so it's "quiet". That is, use ATE0Q1 to keep
it from echoing commands or responses. Sounds like your problem is that the
modem is echoing the login prompt, A/UX takes it as a username/password pair
and tries to log it in. ALSO, your cable must support the DSR/DCD signal from
the modem and the modem must be configured to follow the transitions of the
DTR signal and drop (or enable) carrier accordingly. (AT&C1, perhaps?)
Chuck
cshotton at girch1.hsch.utexas.edu
...!buster!brain!root