X11R4 with fix-1 and gcc funny stuff

Steve Green steveg at umd5.umd.edu
Wed Feb 7 11:34:04 AEST 1990

In article <8893 at portia.Stanford.EDU> name at portia.Stanford.EDU (tony cooper) writes:
]I have built X11R4 using gcc 1.35 and have some problems. Any ideas?
]
]The susp character is ctrl/c instead of ctrl/z. I am using tcsh. The funny
]thing about this is that I also built a server using GreenHills C and the
]susp character is ctrl/z as it should be. Something is wrong with the
]GNU C version.

Also built X11R4 with gcc and am using tcsh... no such problem here.  I got
the tcsh binary from anise.acc.com.  I have built gcc myself but it seems
to have some bugs.

]I have a menu item to exit from X Windows. It does xlwins to find the id
]of the console window and then xkill -id to kill it. This worked fine under
]X11R3 but it hangs with X11R4.

Assuming the initial window is called "console", this works for me.
	xkill -id `xlswins | grep console | tr -s " " | cut -f2 -d" "`

]I execute X windows using the command exec X -screen0 -depth 8. That worked
]fine with X11R3 but with X11R4 I cannot log back in after exiting from X.
]I get the message login incorrect after typing in any login name. I don't
]get as far as being asked for the password.

Are you running xdm? or do you have init start the server?  How is it that
exiting from X logs you off?
Also, make sure your X11R4 script calls Xrepair when it is done.

]Note: If you build X11R4 with GreenHills C the code generated for
]server/ddx/mfb/mfbcmap.c is wrong. Thanks to Steve Green for pointing this out
]to me. It saved me much grief.

BTW: That Greenhills compiler is version 1.8.2h

]Tony Cooper
]tony at popserver.stanford.edu

Interested in copying my gcc binaries???

--
	-steveg at umd5.umd.edu		..!uunet!mimsy!umd5!steveg
"Ignore the message: 'ld warning: file /tmp/kernAAAa06386 has no relocation