modems, getty

Paul Campbell paul at taniwha.UUCP
Thu Feb 22 04:08:21 AEST 1990

Here's a note I posted last May, since there seem to be a number of
people going through the hoooking-modems-to-getty process here's a
fix for a bug you may or may not have stumbled onto yet

	Paul

A number of people have reported problems trying to get incoming serial
lines to autobaud under A/UX. The problem seems to be that the A/UX
/etc/getty does NOT respond to incoming line breaks, parity errors
and most importantly framing errors (all these ought to cause it to
switch speeds). [A good example of this problem can be seen if you set
PARMRK in the 'initial-flags' field in /etc/gettydefs and then run
'/etc/getty -c'].

What follows is a simple patch to fix the worst of this problem, the
patch works for (and applies ONLY to) A/UX 1.0 and 1.1, it may NOT
work for future A/UX releases. Since it is a 3rd party patch to Apple
software it is not waranteed by anyone (on the other hand it does make
things work).

To make the patch do as follows logged on as root:

	mv /etc/getty /etc/getty.old		# backup /etc/getty
	cp /etc/getty.old /etc/getty		# [works even if getty running]

	adb -w /etc/getty
	10c0?x					# should print '0x100'
						# if not STOP HERE!!
	?w 0x108				# make the patch
	^D

	vi /etc/gettydefs

	    then change lines like

		co_9600# B9600 # B9600 SANE2 TAB3 # ~MODEM ~DTR ~FLOW
			#\r\n\nMy System\r\n\nlogin: #co_4800

		co_9600# B9600 PARMRK # B9600 SANE2 TAB3 # ~MODEM ~DTR ~FLOW
			#\r\n\nMy System\r\n\nlogin: #co_4800

	Finally kill off all your gettys so that they restart with the
	new /etc/getty.

You can also make this patch to a copy of /etc/getty and try it on a
single line if you want to test it without letting it loose on your system

Of course this patch works on Taniwha's CommCards (<- plug).

I hope this helps anyone having problems in this area. My thanks to
Malcom Duncan for reporting this bringing this problem to my attention
and testing the fix.

	Paul Campbell

--
Paul Campbell    UUCP: ..!mtxinu!taniwha!paul     AppleLink: CAMPBELL.P
You know there's something wrong when 100,000 people marching in Moscow