Some basic questions on starting in AUX.

Jeffrey C. Buchsbaum jeffb at eleazar.dartmouth.edu
Wed May 9 14:22:50 AEST 1990

I have finally saved up enough money to get AUX.  I want to buy 1.1.1 so I get
the free upgrade to 2.0.  I have several qustions.  I will be buying floppies
and need to know:
1. What kind of documentation comes with the software...installation....  I do
not mean the manual set, but since Apple makes very good manuals one expects
them ...  I would want an introductory manual and maybe a super simple admin
book(or go to a book store and get a Unix book).
2. How big a disk to have, with a 20 meg swap space.
3. Does the NS8/16 work in 2.0, all you beta testers out there?  How about
the now non-product maccelerate scsi dma card.  I have one, for the mac..., and
national said they were not sure it would work with aux2.0.  However, they also
said lots of people in Apple liked the card...AUXers probably...
4. I plan to buy 1.1.1 just to get 2.0.  Does 1.1.1 need to be installed first
to upgrade to 2.0, or will the 2.0 upgrade package be a complete one?
5. How would one hook a MacPlus up to the MacII as a terminal?  Just a serial
cable and a good application.
6. How hard is the installation procedure from floppy.  I know, get a CD or tape
but one has only so much money. I am willing to do it once, but only once.
7. Say I want to backup the floppies in the distribution immediately, can I do
so with the finder?  I can see needing only the "intaller" disk to be finder
compatible, so one would then have lots of hfx disks.  If disk four in ten
got bad before the install was complete it could get really annoying...

Thanks.   I am especially interested in people using the National Semi.
stuff in 2.0 betas.

Jeffrey Buchsbaum
Dartmouth Physics
jeffb at mac.dartmouth.edu  or jeffb at eleazar.dartmouth.edu